A graphic account of how Adjutant S. H. M. Byers, of the Faith Iowa Infantry, carried to Grant before Richmond the news of General Sherman's advance through North Carolina on his march to the sea in 1865 is told in Harper's Weekly. After a perilous trip, he finally reached Grant's headquarters at City Point.

" I ripped open my clothing, handed him my dispatches, and excitedly watched the pleased changes on his flushed face while he hurriedly read the great news I had brought from Sherman," says Mr. Byers. "General Ord happened in at that moment, and the good news was repeated to him. Ord clanked his spurs together, rubbed his hands and manifested joy. 'I had my fears, I had my fears,' he muttered. 'And I, not a bit,' said Grant, springing from his seat by the window, 'I knew Sherman--I knew my man.'"