On Olivet a garden grew--
Gethsemane its name--
And here, in that portentous hour,
The "Man of Sorrows" came.

The shadows of the midnight fell,
And silence reigned around,
As He and His eleven friends
Trod the familiar ground.

Then Oh! such heavy agony
Descended on His soul,
That even His strong spirit was
Unable to control.

He said to them: "Exceeding woe,
Beyond all mortal grief,
O'erwelms my soul; watch here while I
In prayer shall seek relief."

Then went a little farther off,
And on His face He fell,
And offered up this earnest prayer:
"If it be possible,

"My Father--Oh! My Father!--
Let this cup pass from me.
Nevertheless, Thy holy will,
And not my will shall be,"

Then, coming back to those He left,
A mournful watch to keep,
He found them prone upon the ground,
And wrapped in heavy sleep.

But Jesus said : "Sleep now and rest,
The hour is close at hand.
Behold the Son fo Man betrayed
To an ungodly band."