And while He taught the people all,
From highest to the least,
Some Greeks appeared, who had come up
To worship at the feast.

The same approached to Philip, who
Was of Bethsaida,
Saying : "Sir, we would the Master see,
And from Him knowledge draw."

Phillip and Andrew went apart,
And they informed the Lord
That polished strangers, standing near,
Desired to hear His word.

"The hour--the long-approaching hour--
Is come," the Lord replied,
"When I should close my earthly work,
And should be glorified.

"Verily, I say unto you,
Except a corn of wheat
Sink in the gound and die, it will
Alone produce no meat.

"But if it die, it brings forth fruit;
And he that life doth love
Shall lose it : he that hates it gains
Eternal life above.

"If any man will serve me, then
Let him come after me;
And where I am, there, also, shall
My faithful servant be.

"Now is my soul in agony,
And what more shall I say?
Father, save me from this sad hour,
My human heart would pray,

"But for this cause--that I might die--
Unto this hour I came,
So in my heart I cry : "Father,
Glorify thine own name!"

Then came there a voice from heaven,
Saying, in clearest strain :
"I have glorified it, and I
Will glorify it again."

The people standing by were sure
That thunder shook the air;
But others said : "Not so, it is
An angel's voice we hear."

Jesus answered, and said : "This voice
Came not because of me,
But that ye all might understand
The power of Deity.

"Now is the judgment of this world;
Its prince cast out shall be;
And I, if I be lifted up,
Will draw all men to me."