by Marian Longfellow.

Nearer my rest with each succeeding day
That bears me still mine own allotted task!
Nearer my rest! the clouds roll swift away,
And nought remains, O, Lord, for me to ask.


If I but bear unflinchingly life's pain,
And humbly lay it at thy feet divine,
Then shall I see each loss a hidden gain,
And thy sweet mercy through the darkness shine!


Nearer my rest! the long, long wear hours
Had well-nigh gained the victory o'er my soul;
Thy mercy, falling soft like summer showers,
Upheld me, fainting near the victor's goal.


Nearer my rest, and as I journey on,
Grant me, dear Lord (my angel-guides to be,
To keep and help ere that rest be won),
Patience, and Faith, and blessed Purity!


Patience,-- that I may never sink dismayed,
However dark and drear may seem that road;
Patience,-- Though doubt, though every cross that's laid
Upon my heart,-- nor sink beneath the load.


Faith,-- that e'en though to mortal eyes be hidden
The reason why this lift be oft opprest,
I only do, with childlike trust, as bidden,
And leave to Thee, confidingly, the rest!


And Purity,-- O, Godlike attribute!
Be thou my standard, shield, and armor bright;
Without thee no tree beareth worthy fruit,--
These three, O Lord! to lead me through the night!