S. D. Gordon, in "The Sychar Revival," gives an incident several times paralleled in the histories of warfare:

   There is a simple story told about the time when the British were putting down a rebellion among the Ashanti tribes on the west coast of Africa. One morning the officer in command came to speak to the soldiers as they were drilling on the level stretch of land. He said, "Soldiers, I have a dangerous enterprise to-day. I need so many men. Every man that goes may lose his life. It is as serious as that. I am telling you frankly. I could draft you, but I don't want to. I would like to ask for volunteers. I want those who will volunteer for Her Majesty's sake to advance a pace." They were drawn up in a straight line, and thinking the men might be influenced by his look he swung on his heel, and off, then back again and looked. The line stood as straight as before. His eye flashed fire. "What, not a single man to volunteer?" Then a fellow standing at the end of the line next to him saluted and said, modestly, "If you please, sir, every man has advanced one pace."

  Have you advanced the pace for the cause of the Gospel of Jesus, today? Soon our God will return or you will ascend into the heavens to live with Him forever. Once with Christ, you will no longer be able to profess His mercies here on earth. So what are you waiting for? ADVANCE ONE PACE!