Again upon the judgment seat,
To end this cruel strife,
Sat Pilate, when a servant came
With message from his wife.

"Beware"--the word the lady sent--
"That thou no evil do
To Him who stands before thee now--
That man so just and true.

"For I while sleeping on my bed,
Have suffered, in a dream,
Much anguish and distress of mind,
This day, because of Him."

Then Pilate saith to Jesus :
"Art thou the very king
The Jews expected should appear,
And their salvation bring?"

"My kingdom," Jesus answered,
"Is not beneath the skies,
Else to protect me from the Jews
My servants would arise."

"Art thou a king, then?" Pilate asked.
"Thou sayest it," the reply;
"For I was born, and hither came,
The truth to testify."

Pilate said to Him " What is truth?"
Then left the judgment hall,
And said unto the Jews : "I find
In Him no fault at all."

Then Pilate, taking water, washed
His hands before them all;
And said : "This just man's blood on me
Shall not in judgment fall."

Then answered all the people :
"Let this man's blood be shed;
And let it fall on each of us,
And on our children's head."